So I decided to go for a NAS project, and here is the outcome:
- OpenMediaVault Debian based NAS OS
- OS boots from Class 10 SD card in a USB 2.0 port
- Industrial mobo with mini-itx form factor
- Intel T7300 Core 2 Duo CPU
- 3 Gigabit ethernet ports
- 4 SATA ports with 4 SATA disks in RAID 5 (8GB raw capacity so 6GB real capacity)
- Two compact disk cases to hold the 4 disks together and reduce vibrations.
- Mini PSU capable of
450400Watts but using just 35W in iddle mode.
- 3 different fans with their own speed control to allow reduced noise
- 1GB DDR2 SODIMM RAM in two modules.
- Shelve from IKEA
- Shelve from Leroy -Merlin
- 4 rubber legs to avoid vibration
- Some screws and loctite eveywhere along with black paint to cover some scratches :-P
- Massive fun :-D
Of course it has some more bits but I cannnot recall them all just now.